This is default featured slide 1 title

You can completely customize the featured slides from the theme theme options page. You can also easily hide the slider from certain part of your site like: categories, tags, archives etc. More »

This is default featured slide 2 title

You can completely customize the featured slides from the theme theme options page. You can also easily hide the slider from certain part of your site like: categories, tags, archives etc. More »

This is default featured slide 3 title

You can completely customize the featured slides from the theme theme options page. You can also easily hide the slider from certain part of your site like: categories, tags, archives etc. More »

This is default featured slide 4 title

You can completely customize the featured slides from the theme theme options page. You can also easily hide the slider from certain part of your site like: categories, tags, archives etc. More »

This is default featured slide 5 title

You can completely customize the featured slides from the theme theme options page. You can also easily hide the slider from certain part of your site like: categories, tags, archives etc. More »

Waffles

Low sugar morning waffles

In the mornings I like to keep things quick yet tasty and healthy. These low sugar waffles do just that, and they remind me of Egg-O’s but I couldn’t tell you for sure as I haven’t had any of those processed wannabe waffles in years.  Additionally, these waffles are gluten free and I try to keep my ingredients organic and with as little interference as possible of funky additives.

 

Low sugar morning waffles
Serves 1
Write a review
Print
Prep Time
2 min
Cook Time
3 min
Total Time
5 min
Prep Time
2 min
Cook Time
3 min
Total Time
5 min
Ingredients
  1. 2 tbsp coconut flour
  2. 2 tbsp cottage cheese
  3. 0.5 tsp baking powder
  4. A pinch of salt if your cottage cheese doesn't have any
  5. 1-2 drops of vanilla essence
  6. 1 egg
  7. Butter for the waffle iron
  8. Agave syrup
Instructions
  1. Start by heating the waffle iron, and then get the ingredients. Mix the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another bowl. When wet mix is well blended mix it in with the dry. Make sure to butter your waffle iron before adding the mixture to it so it wont stick. Cook until desired color and remove waffle carefully with a fork. Top it off with a dash of agave syrup.
FitElement http://www.fitelement.com/
Sleeping Peanut

How the body regulates mood, appetite and sleep

If you checked out yesterdays post (Your gut has feelings too) you are probably aware of the fact that the gut might have something to do with today’s title :)

I’m amazed with the body’s ability to influence us through the gut. I have to honestly say I haven’t really paid too much attention to this aspect until recently after I have had my share of issues with hunger and poor sleep.

Serotonin is the key word for regulating mood, appetite and sleep. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that is based in the gut. 90% of its function is to regulate intestinal movements and the remaining 10% will be taking care of mood, appetite, sleep, memory and learning. So for instance when we humans smell food we immediately release dopamine to increase appetite (dopamine regulates the brain’s reward and pleasure center).

What we eat will obviously affect our serotonin levels directly. How can one increase its serotonin levels? By eating protein rich foods like chicken, tuna, liver etc but also some fruits like dates, papaya and banana.If you struggle with depression, insomnia, anxiety, over eating or inability to concentrate you might give eating more serotonin containing foods a try like red meat, nuts, seeds, legumes, tuna, shellfish, and turkey.

Do you want to know more about the gut as our second brain? Check out this great article on the topic http://www.scientificamerican.com

Your gut has feelings too

The other day I came across a video which put things in perspective. Supposedly our gut is the second brain of the body. The gut got its own set of neurotransmitters that takes care of more than digestion as it can control the guts behavior. We often refer to our gut feeling when we are trying to analyze a situation and guess what? Various emotions are actually made in the gut.

Check out this video and get inspired to take care of your gut.